While doing Whole30 i wanted to make hamburgers, but didn’t like not having a bun or just wrapping it in lettuce. A portobello was one sugestion and so we gave it a shot. I really liked the flavor and texture. Although it is definitely a burger you have to eat with a fork and knife. The earthiness of the mushroom really goes great with the burger and it is so easy to make. There isn’t much of a recipe for this since I change it a bit every time, so the below is just a guidline.
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned
- salt and pepper, other spices of your choosing
- desired toppings.
- Mix ground beef with salt and pepper and desired spices. Sometimes I add some italian spices, or cumin, or chili powder, depending on my mood. Make into 4 patties.
- Clean/rinse mushrooms, dry, and gently rub with olive oil.
- Place mushrooms and burgers on grill for 10-15 minutes until desired doneness.
- Serve with toppings - lettuce/spinach, tomatoes, etc. (use whole30 approved mayo, ketchup, and mustard if desired)